Friday 19 November 2010

Day 4

Good evening from peaceful and beautiful Tokyo. Even though this sprawling metropolis is home to over 12 million people, I've not had an argie bargie with anyone! I like that.

I've been to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Offices today. These city offices occupy two adjoining buildings, and were worth seeing for their authoritative architecture.







I ventured up to the 52nd floor to catch a glimpse of Tokyo from the observation deck.


 The city and Yoyogi park living side by side.

I then decided to visit Meiji-jingu Shrine in Yoyogi Park. It can't be far I thought, I could see it from the 52nd floor. An hour later, I'm still walking through the back streets of Tokyo!! I spot a group of boys larking about on a huge swing and decide to ask them for directions.


With my terrible Japanese, and their two words of English ( hello and hi ) they showed me the way to the park, bless them. I found some political candidates on my way there.


Meiji-jingu Shrine was stunning and a hive of activity. There was a wedding and a young girl celebrating Shichi-Go-San meaning Seven-Five-Three, a traditional rites of passage for three and seven year old girls and three and five year old boys. I saw this lovely little one celebrating with her parents!


Here's the wedding!!

 

A great shrine day.

Back on the idiosyncratic subway now! I've never been in a place where roughly one in ten people are wearing surgical masks. I think it's to prevent the spread of germs, which is a good thing! but it looks so odd.


And here's a tall man on the subway...
That's it from Tokyo today. Guddonaito.



No comments:

Post a Comment