Saturday 20 November 2010

Day 5

Good evening from warm and sunny Tokyo!

Today I've been to Kamakura which is an hour by train from Tokyo. Kamakura was the capital of Japan from 1185 to 1333 and is home to many Buddhist temples. I went in search of the "Great Buddha" at Kotoku-in temple. Completed in 1252, it is Japan's second-largest Buddha. I was not alone.



There were quite a few of us!





Even though it was very busy beneath Buddha, it was still an incredible sight.
I then took a short walk to Hase-dera temple, very beautiful.




 No pics of the Buddha's I'm afraid, strictly no cameras. But I did find this in the garden!


And this sign, which I loved.



I finished off my day with a sembei ( rice cracker ) and watched them grill it before my eyes. Biggest rice cake I've ever had.



It's a full moon in Kamakura tonight.
Nos da pawb.

No comments:

Post a Comment